- Victor Cortesi and his crew in front of an original V&C delivery truck. Photo circa 1950.
- L to R: David Kreuger, Victor Cortesi, and Judy Cortesi in front of the original V&C Foods location at 964 Natoma Street. Photo circa 1984.
- Original owners, Victor and Charlotte Cortesi, of “V&C”,celebrating 60 years of marriage. Photo circa 1986.
- Now-President, Steven Herrera, in his original office South of Market. Photo circa 1988.
- A young, Liz and Steven Herrera enjoying a V&C Foods Christmas Party. Photo circa 1990.
- A new beginning. V&C Foods’ current warehouse at 1736 Fitzgerald in the Bayview district. Photo circa 1993.
- From one truck to a fleet. Over 65 years later, V&C continues to evolve.
- L to R: Aaron, Danny, Raul, Julio, Phil & Randy. The V&C crew today.
V&C Foods was founded in 1945 by Victor and Charlotte Cortesi, hence our moniker. Victor,affectionately known as “Vic” to his friends and customers, began by distributing ranch fresh eggs from Petaluma and the Central Valley to small bakeries in San Francisco. The company successfully operated at 964 Natoma Street in the South of Market District of San Francisco for nearly 49 years. During that period, Victor operated his business with the help of several key employees,including his wife Charlotte, son-in-law Ron Krueger, and office manager, June Newman. In 1983,his youngest daughter, Judy began working in the family business. She was eager to learn and help her aging father and quickly took responsibility of the daily operations. Shortly after she was hired, Steven Herrera began working as a route driver. As an ambitious, twenty-five year old, Steven took every opportunity to learn from Victor, and continued to do so until his passing in 1987. As time progressed, both the product line and clientele continued to expand. Steven’s role at V&C Foods also developed to that of Salesperson, Distribution Manager, and ultimately, Operations Manager. It was during this period of expansion that the need for a larger warehouse became crucial. In March of 1994, the company headquarters was moved to 1736 Fitzgerald Avenue in the Bayview District of San Francisco.
Shortly after the move in 1995, Judy entered into partnership with Steven Herrera. Over the course of the next decade, the company continued to offer a broader range of products and services. In 2005, Judy Cortesi retired from V&C Foods and relinquished her remaining interest to Steven.
The Herrera Family continues to honor the values that were established over 67 years ago. Our company remains family owned and operated, with Steven’s wife, Liz, managing the finances and their daughter, Victoria, serving as the Director of Sales. As we continue to look for opportunities to better serve our clientele, our company’s pledge to our customers remains the same today as it was in 1945: “Quality, Service, and Value”.